Rowing machines are some of the least used and most underrated pieces of gym equipment. Yet, if used correctly, they have the ability to improve one’s fitness levels more than the treadmill, pulley, and dumbbells combined.
Designed to simulate the sport of rowing, rowing machine is versatile and works out the entire body in one session. Apart from toning your body, studies have shown that working out on a rowing machine at least twice a week, greatly lowers the risk of chronic and cardiovascular ailments.
When it comes to burning calories, a ten-minute session on a rowing machine can burn between 100-200 calories depending on an individuals body weight, workout intensity and the resistance applied.
In short, if you want an exercise machine at home to train your entire body and do cardiovascular exercise, it may be ideal for you. You can get this top rated exercise machine cheaper than you think.
So, what does the rowing machine do?
- 1 So, what does the rowing machine do?
- 2 Benefits of using rowing machine
- 2.1 1. Provides a full body workout
- 2.2 2. Low-Impact Cardio
- 2.3 3. Effective weight loss equipment
- 2.4 4. Injury prevention
- 2.5 5. An effective strength and endurance workout
- 2.6 6. Improves cardiovascular function
- 2.7 7. Greater resistance
- 2.8 8. Easy to use
- 2.9 9. Rowing workout is fun!
- 2.10 10. Weight loss
- 2.11 11. Other things that Rowing Machine can do?
- 3 5 Rowing Machine Workouts
- 4 FAQ & Expert Answers About Rowing Machine
- 5 Final word on what does the rowing machine do?
A rower is one of the most popular fitness equipment. This allows us to work the whole body and it is also excellent for cardio. It is suitable for both men and women. As rowing machines have adjustable resistance, they are suitable for everyone, from beginners to intermediate users. A rower can be a perfect home gym equipment for training at home.
It has several advantages. First, it works throughout the body simulating the movement of the paddle. With a sliding seat, the effectiveness of exercise is even better. It is great to work the trunk muscles. The abdominal muscles are constantly used to stabilize your body during movement. By using it, you can strengthen and tone your abdominal muscles, as well as your lower back. Since you have to push yourself back on the platform, your legs are worked.
Train all the muscles of the legs, such as glutes, hamstrings, and quadriceps. It even provides a powerful workout for the upper body. When you pull your body back, your shoulders, arms, and back should work. It is a perfect equipment for cardio workouts. The continuous rowing movement requires that your whole body increase your heart rate.
A rower helps strengthen your cardiovascular system and burn calories effectively. Are there other benefits? If you use a rower, you can do high-intensity training in a short time. An effective training can be done in 15-25 minutes. It does not damage the joints as you are sitting and your legs and arms are fixed.
Benefits of using rowing machine
1. Provides a full body workout
As mentioned earlier, the rowing machine exercises your entire body ranging from the chest, biceps, triceps, hamstrings, upper and lower back, to shoulders and arms. This eradicates the need to exercise with various gym equipment that specializes in working out only a specific body part. The rowing machine combines the workouts other fitness equipment provides, under one roof.
2. Low-Impact Cardio
For those who have joint problems and have overweight, high-impact exercise like hiking, weight lifting, and running on treadmill can be risky. For these people rowing machine is a great option. The motion of rowing provides natural and low impact. And it will give you minimal stress on the joints. Rowing machines are great for injury prevention like spin bikes. It is a great way to strengthen the knees even after surgery.
If you have a back strain problem then you can also minimize your risk of injury by using correct rowing form. Good rowing posture takes the pressure off your back and lets your legs do the work.
3. Effective weight loss equipment
The rate at which a rowing machine burns calories cannot be matched by any other home gym equipment. A one-hour mild workout on a rowing machine can burn around 600 calories. To burn the same amount of calories on a stationary bike, for example, will require an 80-minute intense workout. This shows that if you want to achieve your fitness goals faster, frequent use of the rowing machine is the best option. This, of course, is in addition to eating a healthy diet, adequate rest and drinking the recommended water intake.
4. Injury prevention
Fitness enthusiasts with injuries or joint problems can still be able to exercise regularly using a rowing machine. This is because other exercises such as walking, jogging, yoga, hiking or weight training are high-impact workouts which stress joints and injuries.
The act of rowing is low-impact and natural and puts minimal stress on the body’s joints. Even with a back injury, one can still exercise safely without burdening the injured back. This is possible by rowing using the right posture, where your legs do all the work, which, in turn, eases the pressure on the bad back.
Renowned athletes of various sports use rowing to get back to fitness after an injury or surgery. It is possible to work out around an injury with a rowing machine, which makes it unique.
5. An effective strength and endurance workout
The rowing motion strengthens and tones the upper body considerably. Also, it increases resistance and stamina which is vital for endurance. Frequent use of the rowing machine ensures that with every workout, there is an increase in strength, which will enable you to work out for longer periods. while slowing down the rate of exhaustion.
6. Improves cardiovascular function
The breathing and sweating that accompanies a rowing machine work out, improve lung and heart functions. This allows the body to take in more air which ensures your heart, blood, and body organs have sufficient oxygen circulation. It also ejects toxins from your system.
Since rowing also exercises the upper body, it gets rid of excess fat that accumulates there and linked to some chronic diseases, decreasing the risk of developing the ailments. This also results in a more resilient body immune system.
7. Greater resistance
If you feel you have to get up and go, you probably do not get enough physical activity. Workouts with rowing machines may seem exhausting at first, but the long-term benefits of regular exercise will increase your endurance and give you more energy. Because rowing is cardiovascular exercise and solves all of your major muscle groups. With repeated use, the resistance will increase and your metabolism will increase. More energy means more unity to do the things you love!
8. Easy to use
If you start to get in shape, the labyrinth of complex weight machines in the gym can make your head spin. Do not worry Exercising on a rower is relatively easy to learn and ideal for all ages and abilities. It is important to make sure that you use the proper rowing technique during your exercises. This will help you maximize your workout and minimize the risk of injury. Your feet should be securely attached to the stirrups and your shins at a 90-degree angle to the floor. It is best to keep the back straight, the core engaged, and to row in a smooth, fluid motion. You will master it in a short time!
9. Rowing workout is fun!
If you are afraid of exercise, it is much harder to motivate yourself to do it. Making a fitness plan that you like is the key to your success. Because rowing works your entire body, it’s easier to stay involved while doing it. Plus, you can challenge yourself by increasing your stamina by becoming a more experienced rower. Raise the speakers and keep up with your favorite songs, broadcast your favorite show on TV, or hire a training partner to cheer you on. Once you have become professional, you will feel so good that jumping on your rower will be a pleasure!
10. Weight loss
Regular rowing training can help you burn more calories, tone your muscles and increase your energy. The training of a rower burns on average 600 calories per hour. It’s more effective than many other gym machines on the market. Combined with a healthy and balanced diet, regular rowing is a great way to help you achieve your fitness goals.
11. Other things that Rowing Machine can do?
Rowing machines also improve body posture, thanks to the upper and lower back workouts. This means that you will look taller, feel more confident and also have ‘fuller’ shoulders.
5 Rowing Machine Workouts
1. Row Warm-Up
Before you start full rowing, you must warm up. Here’s how to do it.
How To Do
- Add low resistance. Sit on the rower, hold the pulley’s handle with your hands extended, core engaged, and back straight.
- Place your legs on the leg rest. Keep them extended.
- Pull the handle to your chest. Do not move back or hunch your back.
- Slowly get your hands back to the starting position (Do this 5 times)
- Pull the handle and move forward as you extend your hands again (Do this 5 times)
- Pull the handle of the pulley and as you extend your hands again. Bend your knees and slide forward.
- Slide back as you pull the handle of the pulley.
2. Simple Rowing
How To Do
- Sit on the rowing exercise machine and place your feet on the leg rest.
- Extend your arms and grab the handle firmly. Make sure your abs are tight and back is not hunched
- Push with your legs, straightening them. At the same time Pull the handle with your extended arms.
- Lean back a little while keeping your arms extended.
- Pull the handle close to your chest. Squeeze your shoulder blades and do not lean back any further while doing so. Use your back muscles to pull the handle.
- Bend your knees and slide forward as you extend your hands.
3. Water Rower Workout
How To Do
This is similar to the simple rowing exercise. There is just a slight difference in the machine design.
Here’s an inspiring video given at the end of this article featuring Josh Crosby, World Champion Rower, doing this exercise!
4. Power Curls
How To Do
- Do the simple rowing exercise 3 times.
- When you go back and bring the handle close to your chest, curl your hands by flexing your elbows, just like you would while doing bicep curls.
- Release the curl and slide forward, bending your knees.
- Repeat the whole exercise 5-8 times.
5. Sprints Or Extreme Rowing
How To Do
- In this exercise, you do the regular rowing exercise, but without taking the handle all the way back. Increase the speed of rowing while stopping in the Drive position.
- Do as many as you can in 1 minute.
- To intensify the exercise, you can increase the duration and speed of rowing.
Practice these five exercises to see a visible difference in your energy, appearance, and well-being.
Rowing machine workouts are excellent calorie burners. Do them two times a week to strengthen and condition your upper body. Get fit while having fun!
FAQ & Expert Answers About Rowing Machine
1. Can you lose belly fat on a rowing machine?
Answer: Rowing machine workouts work on your core. So, yes, you might lose some belly fat. But remember, belly fat is stubborn. You might need to follow these tips to get rid of belly fat.
2. How does a rowing machine differ from a treadmill?
Answer: On the treadmill, you walk or run. It does not target your upper back muscles.
3. How long should you workout on a rowing machine?
Answer: Start with 10 minutes and increase the time and resistance as you build strength and stamina.
4. Can you lose weight on a rowing machine?
Answer: Yes, you will lose upper back fat.
5. How many days a week should you use a rowing machine?
Answer: Two times a week is ideal for rowing machine exercises.
Final word on what does the rowing machine do?
It is also important to note that rowing machines offer convenience as you can acquire one for use in the privacy of your home. Also, with numerous models on offer, buying a rowing machine does not have to be a bank-breaking venture, as you can find a suitable machine for every available budget.
If you want to buy the best rowing machine then our recommendation without any doubt is Concept2 Model D Indoor Rowing Machine with PM5. It is the world’s best selling rowing machine.